Google

January 22, 2009

VENDAKKAI PULI PACHADI

Wishing you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR.Though I resolved to post thrice a week it happened only today and hoping to strictly follow too.
Vendakkai as Lady's Finger is called in Tamil is a favourite for children next only to potatoes and my children are no exception.I still remember my childhood days when I used to eat it raw before maths exam as it was held that if you do so one could score well in maths,but still don't know whether it is a myth or real.My children always had the curry or roast preparation which I was bugged making.We had tasted this in a hotel recently and my children loved it.So as a habit of trying the tasted recipe ventured into it and was happy that it was exactly what we ate and at present my children have forgot the curry and roast version of this vegetable

Ingredients
Lady's finger-250gms
Onions-2 finely chopped
Tamarind extract-as required
Chilli powder-2tsp
Turmeric powder-1tsp
Salt-to taste
Oil-as required

For seasoning
Mustard-1tsp
Urad dal-1 tsp
Asafoetida-a pinch
Curry leaves-a few




Method
Cut vendakkai into 1 inch long pieces and onions finely
Heat oil and season with the ingredients
Add onions and saute well,next add the lady's finger and saute
To this add chilli and turmeric powder and saute
Mix in the tamarind extract and salt and allow to boil and remove when done
Add water as required,as this should not be too thick nor watery
Serve hot as side dish for rice/chappati

1 comments:

FH said...

Looks mouthwatering, we love Okra and I will try this.Thanks! :))