Google

October 16, 2007

ROTI AND SAMBOL

This is a recipe I learnt from a friend and an easy and tasty one too...

CEYLON ROTI
Ingredients
Maida-2 cups
Coconut-1/2 grated
Butter-2tsp
Salt-to taste
Warm water-1 cup
Oil -to fry

Method
Sieve the flour.Add salt and butter and mix well
Add the grated coconut to the mixture and mix
Add the warm water little by little and knead like a dough
Mix in 2tsp oil so that the outer layer does not dry
Make lemon sized balls and keep it covered with acloth for 30 mins
Roll out as rotis and cook them on a tawa on medium heat with oil
Serve with SAMBOL


SAMBOL
Ingredients
Small onions-8nos
Coconut-1/2 grated
Red chillies-5nos
Pepper-1tsp
Curry leaves-2 strings
Salt-to taste
Lemon juice-from 1/2 a fruit

Method
Sambol is usually made using grinding stone,for convenience now mixie is used
Grind red chillies and salt coarsely
In a bowl mix the coconut,small onions,pepper and curry leaves
Add the ground chilli powder to this
Divide this into 2 or 3 portions Grind 1 portion with 3 short spins,remove
Repeat for the next 2 portions
Mix all the 3 portions with a spoon so that the chilli mixes well
Add a few drops of lemon juice and mix well
This sambol should be coarse and not a paste
This can be served with Idiyappam also

1 comments:

Latha Narasimhan said...

Renuka, I will be sending 2 packets of surprise ingredient to you! please pass one to Bharathy. I am planning to send only after 27th as I am not keeping very good health.
Today I prepared a chutney similar to your sambhol!:)) I wish I had seen your recipe before. Anyway small onions are always available and I can make it any time. I have one doubt, is it ok if the ground paste is saute in oil to remove raw smell? I too love to grind in ammi. The taste is definitely different!:))