Google

February 25, 2009

THE BLACK BEAUTY

My parents were in North India for few years and my mom learnt a lot of recipes and I adapted it from her.As my father was a diabetic at an early age he used to have chapathi for dinner and slowly all of us got accustomed to it.The side dish would be a pucca Northy style sabji,salad or dhal.I can eat chapathi any time of the day.But the reverse happened when I got married.It took sometime for me to eat rice for dinner,it's not that I cannot have it but eating chapathi for so many years and suddenly having it once in 15 days,I just cannot forget those days.But after so many years(any guesses)I managed to convince everyone to eat chapathi atleast three days a week.This dhal is my favourite and of course my mom's recipe.

Ingredients
Black urad dhal full/black massoor-1/2cup
Onions-2 finely chopped
Tomatoes-2 finely chopped
Garlic-8 pods chopped
Ginger-1" chopped
Chilli powder-2 tsp
Garam masala powder-1 tsp
Salt-as required

For seasoning
Jeera-2tsp
Oil-as required



Method
Soak the dhal for 15 min.
Add half the quantity of onions,tomatoes,garlic and ginger to the dhal along with the chilli powder and salt and pressure cook ittill done
Heat oil season with jeera,add the remaining onions,tomatoes,garlic and ginger and saute well
Add the cooked dhall to the sauted ingredients and allowto boil for 5-10 mins
Finally add the garam masala and serve hot with chapathi along with onion salad

This goes to Easycrafts RCI-Haryana started by Lakshmi and also to Susan's MLLA-Eigth Helping




5 comments:

Gayathri said...

Given a great name for the dish, very creative :)

Anonymous said...

OMG! delicious!

EC said...

Tempting dal..its my favourite, thanks for the participation

Susan said...

Renuka, this is so very lovely a dal dish. Thank you for participating in MLLA8.

I have many Indian recipes to try yet, but this will be on my list.

renuka said...

Thanks Gayathri and CW and EC
Susan do try it and let me know