Google

December 16, 2008

This dish is a must in every Chettinad house in South India.I've tasted it many times and very much wanted to try it myself but as it requires soaking time I always postponed.It was raining for the past two days and children wanted something hot.I searched my recipe collection and followed my chettinad friend's.I relished it throughly.

WHITE PANIYARAM

Ingredients
Raw rice-21/2 cups
Urad dal-1/2 cup
Salt-to taste
Oil-for frying

Method
Wash and soak the rice and dal for 1 hour
Grind them with required water to fine paste
Dilute with water to pouring consistency,add salt and mix the batter well
Heat oil in a frying pan,pour spoonful of batter into the oil
After few seconds turnover and when fully cooked remove and serve hot with tomato chutney

TOMATO CHUTNEY
Ingredients
Onions-5 nos,4 chopped big and 1 finely
Tomatoes-5 nos chopped
Red chillies-10 or as per taste
Salt-to taste

For seasoning
Mustard-1 tsp
Split urad dal-1` tsp
Fenugreek-1 tsp
Asafoetida-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-few
Oil-4 tsp

Method
Grind 4 onions,tomatoes,red chillies and salt to a paste
Heat oil in pan,add the seasonings and saute
Add finely chopped onions and saute till the onion turns transparent
Add the onion-tomato paste and saute in reduced flame till the raw smell goes
Water,if necessary can be added
Serve withhot white paniyarams,idlis and dosas too

3 comments:

amna said...

i love paniyaram too :)

EC said...

hey, i tried this out and it was so good...going to post it for the MBP event too.. thanks

Gayathri said...

Great, you inspired me to prepare them, will try it